Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Soccer and Chewing Gum


"I can play soccer and chew gum when I am four." -Beau


Chewing gum has not been a big hit, but my sweet Beau has been looking forward to playing soccer for a LONG time. Well, we go to "evaluations" tomorrow evening at church. (What exactly are they evaluating? My baby is 4!) Anyway, I am looking forward to being a "soccer mom".

I have a little book of "shared wisdom" for moms. I thought these were some good ones:


-Always be his cheerleader.

-Put your fears aside. Even if he's small and slow, he needs to play.

-For many years, it won't matter to him if he wins, only that he's playing. (This one may not apply to Beau...he's pretty competitive.)

-Give him swimming lessons early. Waterproof him early on.

-Generally speaking, your advice in picking out soccer or baseball shoes is not welcome.

-Be prepared: The price of his athletic equipment will make you consider taking out a second mortgage.

-He'll always look for you at his games. Sit where he can see you.

-It's ok if you don't love attending his meets. But it's important that you're there cheering when something exciting happens.

-Remember, even perfectly sane moms tend to freak out during soccer tryouts.

-If he gets cut from a team, it will be one of the worst days of his life. And yours.

-If he's old enough to play, he's old enough to carry his own equipment. (LOVE this one!)

-He won't understand if you cry just because he's bleeding.

-Tell him he had a great game, even if there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He just needs to hear you say it.

-Keep sports fun for as long as possible. Remind his dad of this.


Happy soccer season!
-Marsha

3 comments:

Lori said...

We can't wait to see Beau play! Send us a schedule when you get one! I still remember Bailey's first game and Alan shaking his head and saying that soccer might not be the game for her. She waved at us and picked flowers the whole time! Audrey and Cal were different because they had seen Bailey play. Beau has had lots of experience seeing his cousins play, also. He will be ready!

Karri said...

Please let us know when he has a game. Brayden and I would really like to come and watch Beau give it his all:)

Julie said...

Where is MArsha? Where is Marsha? I miss her bloggin!